Cookies & Milk by Shawn Amos
Genre: Middle Grade Contemporary
Publishing Date: May 24, 2022
It’s a summer of family, friendship, and fun fiascos in this semi-autobiographical novel that’s as irresistible as a fresh-baked cookie.
Eleven-year-old Ellis Johnson dreamed of spending the summer of 1976 hanging out with friends, listening to music, and playing his harmonica. Instead, he’ll be sleeping on a lumpy pullout in Dad’s sad little post-divorce bungalow and helping bring Dad’s latest far-fetched, sure-to-fail idea to life: opening the world’s first chocolate chip cookie store. They have six weeks to perfect their recipe, get a ramshackle A-frame on Hollywood’s Sunset Boulevard into tip-top shape, and bring in customers.
But of course, nothing is as easy as Dad makes it sound, even with Grandma along for the ride. Like she says, they have to GIT—get it together—and make things work. Along the way, Ellis discovers a family mystery he is determined to solve, the power of community, and new faith in himself.
Partially based on Shawn Amos’s own experiences growing up the son of Wally “Famous” Amos in a mostly white area, and packed with humor, heart, and fun illustrations, this debut novel sings with the joy of self-discovery, unconditional love, and belonging.
Biscoff Butter Cookies
Stephanie Rutherford https://stephaniessweets.com/biscoff-butter-cookies/
These Biscoff butter cookies are large and chewy and full of cookie butter. The cookies are filled with mini chocolate chips and topped with cookie butter puddles.
- 2 1/2 cups All-purpose flour
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup Brown sugar packed light or dark
- 1/2 cup White granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup Biscoff cookie spread smooth not crunchy
- 2 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- 2 Large eggs room temperature
- 1 cup Mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup Biscoff cookie butter the rest of the container
- In a mixing bowl, sift the flour. Add in baking soda and salt. Set aside.2 1/2 cups All-purpose flour,1 tsp Baking soda,1 tsp Salt
- Using a mixer, beat the butter, brown sugar, and sugar. Beat on high for 2 minutes. Add in the cookie butter. Mix until just combined.1 cup Unsalted butter,1 cup Brown sugar,1/2 cup White granulated sugar,3/4 cup Biscoff cookie spread
- Add in vanilla and eggs. Mix on high for 1 minute. Add in the dry ingredients and mix on low until just combined. Add in the mini chocolate chips.2 tsp Pure vanilla extract,2 Large eggs,1 cup Mini chocolate chips
- Chill the dough for 2 hours.
- Place wax paper on a cookie sheet. Pour the cookie butter into a bowl. Use a ¼ teaspoon and place very small dollops on the cookie sheet. This will be to top the cookies after they baked. Place in the freezer.1/2 cup Biscoff cookie butter
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Use a 3oz cookie scoop to scoop the dough. Place 6 cookies per cookie sheet. Bake 1 sheet at a time. Keep the rest of the dough in the fridge while the cookies bake.
- Bake the cookies for 13-15 minutes. Bake until the edges are lightly golden brown. When the cookies are right out of the oven, top with the cookie butter drops and mini chocolate chips.
- Let the cookies sit on the pan for 5 minutes. Use a knife to “stir” the cookie butter on the cookie to create pools of cookie butter. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool.
Flour- Make sure flour is spooned and leveled or use a kitchen scale. Compacted flour can dry out the cookies.
High altitude baking- Add an extra 2 tablespoon of flour
Pull butter and eggs out 2 hours before baking.
About the Author:
Shawn Amos is a world-renowned Blues musician who grew up the son of Wally Amos, aka Famous Amos: a pop culture icon, cookie mogul, and household name to this day. When Shawn’s not touring or recording as The Reverend Shawn Amos, he works as a partner at NYC communications firm Hudson Cutler. He is also a divorced father of three children, with whom he enjoys baking. This is his first novel.