by Harmony Becker
A young adult graphic novel about three foreign exchange students and the pleasures, and difficulties, of adjusting to living in Japan.
Living in a new country is no walk in the park―Nao, Hyejung, and Tina can all attest to that. The three of them became fast friends through living together in the Himawari House in Tokyo and attending the same Japanese cram school. Nao came to Japan to reconnect with her Japanese heritage, while Hyejung and Tina came to find freedom and their own paths. Though each of them has her own motivations and challanges, they all deal with language barriers, being a fish out of water, self discovery, love, and family.
My Favorite Things About Himawari House:
- The artwork and illustrations. These were absolutely gorgeous, and definitely superior to some graphic novels I have read before.
- Japanese Culture. I have ben devouring books that have differerent aspects of different cultures that I can learn about. Now I need some mochi desperately.
- The struggle and effort to learn a new language. I loved how it showed the difficulty of learning a new language and a new culture for those immigrating, and how hard it is to try to adapt and blend in when you are feeling so different.
- Female Friendships! Some great dynamics between these ladies. Friends are hard as a female. Feelings of not being good enough, comparison, and just downright feeling not as attractive as another… these all play a factor in causing female friendships to crash and burn. I loved how strong the friendships were.
- Family. Finding family and feeling a sense of belonging is so important and I love stories that show that.
by Harmony Becker
Published by First Second
Releasing on November 9, 2021
YA FICTION-Contemporary, Graphic Novel
Harmony Becker was born in Cincinnati, Ohio. She is the illustrator of George Takei’s graphic memoir They Called Us Enemy. She currently lives in Mexico City.
Turn the Page Tours – Welcome Post
Books of Magic and Mystery – Book Review, Favorite Things About Himawari House
Zombiepandabooks – Book Review
Leannreadsbooks – Book Review
Wonderousreads – Book Review
Pop the Butterfly – Book Review
Nonbinary Knight Reads – Book Review, Favorite Quotes
Lyrical Reads – Book Review
Balancing_books_and_beauties – Favorite Things About Himawari House
Reading_with_nicole – Favorite Things About Himawari House
Lilly_sreads – Book Review
Rampant_reading – Book Review
Jenerally Reading – Book Review
Tangledupinbooks – Book Review
Books, Tea, Healthy Me – Book Review
Mellasmusings – Book Review
Rochreads – Book Review
Offictionandfantasy – Book Review
Theartistlibrarian – Book/Character Art
10streader – Book Review
Sara Mackenzi Reads – Book Review