A boy who accidentally bonds with a magical Beast must set off on an adventure in the mysterious Woods in this whimsical and cheeky middle grade fantasy debut—perfect for fans of Nevermoor and How to Train Your Dragon.The last thing Barclay Thorne ever wanted was an adventure.Thankfully, as an apprentice to the town’s mushroom farmer, Barclay need only work hard and follow the rules to one day become the head mushroom farmer himself. No danger required. But then Barclay accidentally breaks his town’s most sacred rule: never ever EVER stray into the Woods, for within the Woods lurk vicious magical Beasts.To Barclay’s horror, he faces a fate far worse than being eaten: he unwittingly bonds with a Beast and is run out of town by an angry mob. Determined to break this bond and return home, Barclay journeys to find the mysterious town of Lore Keepers, people who have also bonded with Beasts and share their powers.But after making new friends, entering a dangerous apprenticeship exam, and even facing the legendary Beast of the Woods, Barclay must make a difficult choice: return to the home and rules he’s always known, or embrace the adventure awaiting him.”
5 reasons to read:
1. Friendships in all shapes, sizes, and colors. Amanda does a wonderful job of intertwining different races, ages, and even different species to make a wonderful truly unique story.
2. An enchanting fantasy story that kept me reading until well into the night. I started reading with the thought I’ll read a few chapters and be done for the night…. ended up finishing the whole thing in one sitting!
3. A great story that shows a child who basically has nothing to call his own and no one who seems to care make something of himself. My heart broke for Barclay as he went through all of the struggles in the beginning. Bullied by his peers and basically just made to feel like he was of little importance. I loved watching him push through these obstacles.
4. Beast Bonds – what kid (ok fine … adults as well) hasn’t wanted to bond with a dragon or a wolf or something equally as cool…. no? Just me hmmm… now you are lying to yourself!
5. One of my all time favorite things about Middle Grade Fantasy – Good usually conquers evil. It’s always a good feeling going in knowing this will probably have a good ending. (I’ve been wrong a time or two) I can’t wait for the next book in the series!
Book Depository: https://www.bookdepository.com/Accidental-Apprentice-1-AMANDA-FOODY/9781534477568?ref=grid-view&qid=1611338819381&sr=1-1
“About the Author:
Amanda Foody has always considered imagination to be our best attempt at magic. After a double life as an accountant preparing taxes for multinational corporations, she now spends her free time brewing and fermenting foods much more easily obtained at her local grocery store. She lives in Boston, MA with a hoard of books guarded by the most vicious of feline companions, Jelly Bean.
Her books include The Shadow Game seriesand more. Her middle grade debut, Wilderlore: The Accidental Apprentice, hits shelves March 30, 2021, and her next YA novel, All of Us Villains, co-authored with Christine Lynn Herman, releases on November 9, 2021.